About Us

the history

The History of Oliveto Lario

The Municipality of Oliveto Lario was established in 1927 from the union of the villages of Onno, Vassena, and Limonta (to which the mountain areas of S. Giorgio, Crezzo, Alpetto, Guello, and Limontasca were added). Its name reflects not only its geographical location but also the presence of the well-known Mediterranean plant—the olive tree—introduced to these shores in ancient times and already mentioned in the Late Roman period (in the 4th century AD by Claudian and in the 6th by Cassiodorus).

To trace its history, one must therefore refer to the documents concerning the individual hamlets that make it up.

The earliest evidence of settlements in this area dates back to the Roman era, as shown by the discovery, during the last century, of two cremation tombs just outside the village of Onno, along the road leading to Valbrona. Dating from the 1st century AD, they contained several artifacts, including a terracotta jug (olpe), bronze fibulae, and a fine balsamarium.

The municipality, which was part of the pieve of Asso, is documented in the 14th century and later became part of the Duchy of Milan, following its political events. With the arrival of the French and the Cisalpine Republic, the municipality of Onno was included in the district of Asso, and later in that of Canzo, remaining there until the Unification of Italy (1861).

The oldest historical documentation, however, concerns Limonta, mentioned in an imperial charter issued by Emperor Lothair in 835, in which this land—already a royal court—was granted as a fief to the monastery of St. Ambrose in Milan. The monastery’s control over Limonta continued until 1797, the year of the French domination in Italy, although by the 15th century the local Municipality, equipped with its own Statutes, was already in existence.

Vassena is mentioned for the first time in a 10th-century document, although more stable settlements probably developed from the 11th–12th centuries onward, established by peasants from Mandello who crossed the lake to cultivate these lands and eventually settled here permanently. The administrative link with their town of origin lasted until the 15th century, and despite subsequent independence, the community of Vassena always belonged to the pieve of Mandello and, together with it, to the Riviera di Lecco and the Duchy of Milan. The strong connection with the town across the lake is still evident today in the fact that, while Limonta and Onno follow the Ambrosian rite (typical of the Church of Milan) in their liturgical celebrations, Vassena belongs, like Mandello and Abbadia Lariana, to the Diocese of Como and follows the Roman rite.

The History of Oliveto Lario

The Municipality of Oliveto Lario was established in 1927 through the union of Onno, Vassena, and Limonta. The territory also includes the areas of San Giorgio, Crezzo, Alpetto, Guello, and Limontasca. Its name refers both to its position on the lake and to the presence of the olive tree, known here since ancient times. Late Roman authors such as Claudian (4th century) and Cassiodorus (6th century) already mention it.

To reconstruct its history, one must look at the events of the individual hamlets.

The oldest finds, dating back to the Roman era, were discovered in the early 1900s near Onno, along the road to Valbrona. They consist of two cremation tombs from the 1st century AD, containing a terracotta jug (olpe), bronze fibulae, and a balsamarium (perfume vessel).

The municipality of Onno, part of the parish of Asso, is documented in the 14th century. It later became part of the Duchy of Milan and shared its fate. Under the Cisalpine Republic, it was first assigned to the district of Asso and later to that of Canzo, remaining so until the Unification of Italy (1861).

The oldest source refers to Limonta — an imperial charter issued by Emperor Lothair in 835. Limonta, once a royal estate, was granted to the Monastery of Saint Ambrose in Milan. This control lasted until 1797, although in the 15th century there was a period during which Limonta became an independent municipality with its own statutes.

Vassena is mentioned for the first time in a document from the 10th century. Permanent settlements arose between the 11th and 12th centuries, when farmers from Mandello crossed the lake and settled here to cultivate the land. Vassena remained under the administrative control of that municipality until the 15th century. It then became independent but continued to belong to the parish of Mandello, the Riviera of Lecco, and the Duchy of Milan. Even today, the link with the town across the lake is evident: Limonta and Onno follow the Ambrosian rite (Diocese of Milan), while Vassena follows the Roman rite (Diocese of Como).