Church of St. Dionigi (Chiesa di S. Dionigi)
The present church was built in the 1920s, following the demolition in 1923 of the original building, after the area on which it stood was acquired by private owners. According to local tradition, the earlier structure was a transformation of a previous chapel dedicated to Saint Genesius; it was larger in size and probably of medieval origin.
Although the first certain mention of the church dates back to 1725, the cult of the saint was certainly not unknown in Limonta, as evidenced by his numerous representations in the parish church.
The building, covered by a gable roof, features a pediment framed by a string course and two lateral pilaster strips. The entrance is preceded by a small portico supported by columns, which echoes the shape of the façade and bears the church’s dedication on the entablature.
The interior consists of a single nave covered by a barrel vault. The presbytery is smaller than the nave and slightly elevated above it. On the back wall, between the two doors leading to the sacristy, there is a stylized terracotta decoration representing the Cross — a 1993 work by Pablo Atchugarry.
Each of the side walls is adorned with two large paintings by Giorgio Albertini, depicting four moments from the Passion of Christ: The Agony in the Garden, The Cock’s Crow, Ecce Homo, and Darkness Covered the Earth.
The present church was built in the 1920s, following the demolition of the original building in 1923, as the land on which it stood had been purchased by private owners. According to tradition, the earlier church had developed from a chapel dedicated to Saint Genesius. It was larger in size and probably dated back to the Middle Ages.
The first documented mention of the church dates to 1725, though the cult of Saint Genesius was already present in Limonta, as evidenced by the numerous depictions of the saint in the parish church.
The current building features a gabled roof and a pediment divided by a horizontal band and two lateral pilasters. In front of the entrance stands a small portico with columns, echoing the façade’s design and bearing the church’s dedication on the architrave.
The interior has a single nave covered by a barrel vault. The presbytery, smaller and raised above the nave, opens on the back wall. Between the two doors leading to the sacristy is a terracotta decoration in the shape of a cross, a 1993 work by the sculptor Pablo Atchugarry.
On the side walls hang four large paintings by the artist Giorgio Albertini, depicting the main moments of Christ’s Passion: The Ascent to the Mount of Olives, The Crowing of the Rooster, Ecce Homo, and Darkness Fell Over the Earth.




