Church of Saints Nazarius and Celsus (Chiesa SS. Nazaro e Celso)

The original church, small and with a single nave, once stood near the lakeshore, as noted in 16th-century records. Even at that time, its reconstruction in a safer and higher area was already being considered, since flooding from the lake had weakened its foundations. The rebuilding is documented in 1648 and was completed by 1670, when the church is described as having one vaulted nave and two side chapels. On the counter-façade, to the right of the entrance, a stone plaque recalls its reconsecration in 1756. The final extensions date to 1865 and gave the church its current appearance; another plaque to the left records these works.

The simple façade is marked by a horizontal band supporting a small arched window and topped by a triangular pediment. These architectural elements, as well as the portal with decorative volutes dated 1687, are made of serizzo stone, as stated in the inscription above the entrance.

Near the doorway, to the left, there is a niche with an 18th-century holy-water font that also serves as a baptismal font and gives access to two service rooms. At the end of the barrel-vaulted nave open two side chapels and the main presbytery. The chapel on the right is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and the one on the left to Saint Joseph, as shown by the wooden statues inside them.

The main altar has no altarpiece but holds a wooden Crucifix by the contemporary sculptor Walter Pancheri from northern Italy. The painted decoration of the nave, vault, and apse was created in 1931 by the Ligurian artist Davide Beghè. The various scenes, framed by stucco borders, depict on the vault the Holy Family and the Glory of Saints Nazarius and Celsus; on the left wall, the Parables of the Good Samaritan and the Pharisee; and on the right wall, Saints Peter and Paul with the Holy Women at the Tomb. On the presbytery ceiling is the Eucharistic Adoration, while in the apse lunette appears Christ in the Garden of Olives.


The church, originally small and with a single nave, stood near the lake shore, as recorded in sixteenth-century sources. Even then, there were requests to rebuild it in a safer area, since rising lake waters damaged its foundations. Work began in 1648 and was completed by 1670. At that time, the church had a vaulted nave and two side chapels.
Near the entrance, a plaque commemorates the reconsecration of 1756. Another, on the opposite wall, mentions the extensions carried out in 1865, which gave the building its present appearance.

The façade is simple and orderly, divided by a horizontal band and topped with a pediment. The stone portal bears an inscription with the date 1687, marking its construction.

Inside, on the left, there is a niche with an eighteenth-century stoup and an access to two service rooms. The nave, covered by a barrel vault, ends with two side chapels and the presbytery.
The right-hand chapel is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and the left-hand one to Saint Joseph, as shown by the wooden statues placed in each. The main altar houses a large wooden Crucifix by the South Tyrolean sculptor W. Pancheri.

The walls, vault, and presbytery are decorated with frescoes painted in 1913 by the Ligurian artist D. Beghé. The scenes are framed and depict, on the vault, the Holy Family and the Glory of Saints Nazarius and Celsus. Along the nave are parables, saints, and episodes from the Gospel. In the presbytery vault is the Eucharistic Adoration; in the apse, Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane.

You may also like
Santuario della Vergine Annunciata detto Madonna del Moletto
Church of Our Lady of the Moletto (Santuario della Vergine Annunciata detto Madonna del Moletto)
The church was built in 1606 by Roberto Rusca, a monk sent here as the deputy of the abbot of Saint Ambrose in Milan, to which Limonta belonged at the time.
VIEW DETAILS
Chiesa di S. Pietro da Verona martire
Church of Saint Peter Martyr (Chiesa di S. Pietro da Verona martire)
The church stands in the centre of the village, facing a small square paved with porphyry. It was first mentioned as a parish church in 1584, although 19th-century sources say it already existed in 1410.
VIEW DETAILS
Chiesa dei SS. Ambrogio e Bernardo
Church of Saints Ambrose and Bernard (Chiesa dei SS. Ambrogio e Bernardo)
La chiesa attuale è il frutto della ricostruzione di un primitivo edificio, forse di fondazione altomedievale, portata a termine nel 1673 dall’Abate Giuseppe Rainoldi, come ricordato dalla lapide in controfacciata.
VIEW DETAILS