The Lario Circuit

The organization of this important motorcycle race is owed to the Moto Club Lombardo, founded in Milan in 1914.
The first edition took place on May 29, 1921.

The circular route started in Asso, continued toward Valbrona, descended to Onno, climbed back up from Bellagio toward Civenna and the Madonna del Ghisallo pass, then descended again through Barni to Lasnigo, finally returning to Asso.
The 36-kilometer course had to be completed up to six times, depending on the motorcycle’s engine capacity.

Within just a few years, the race achieved European fame, attracting the most renowned motorcycle manufacturers, including Bianchi, Benelli, Sunbeam, Harley-Davidson, Gilera, and Moto Guzzi.
Among the riders who competed here were Pietro Ghersi, Tazio Nuvolari, Tonino Benelli, and Omobono Tenni.

The memorial plaque commemorates the death of the Brianza-born rider Isacco Mariani, who died on July 11, 1925, during the trials for that year’s edition, scheduled for the following day.
According to contemporary reports, Mariani, riding his Sunbeam, was heading toward Bellagio when he collided with fellow racer Primo Moretti (Moto Guzzi), who was exiting in the opposite direction from his team’s headquarters at the Flora Hotel (now Al Batel), located right in front of the pier.

The race continued to be held until the outbreak of the Second World War, while since 2003, a historical reenactment of the Lario Circuit has been organized, dedicated to vintage motorcycles.


The Moto Club Lombardo was founded in Milan in 1914, and in 1921 it organized for the first time this great motorcycle race: the Circuito del Lario.
The course was a loop: it started from Asso, passed through Valbrona, and descended to Onno.
It then climbed towards Bellagio and Civenna, reaching the Madonna del Ghisallo pass.
From there, it returned to Asso via Barni and Lasnigo.

The track was 36 kilometers long, and each rider completed it from one to six laps, depending on the motorcycle’s power.
The race soon became famous throughout Europe.
Major brands such as Bianchi, Benelli, Sunbeam, Harley Davidson, Gilera, and Moto Guzzi took part in it.
Champions like Ghersi, Nuvolari, Benelli, and Tenni also raced on these roads.

The memorial plaque commemorates the rider Isacco Mariani, who died on July 11, 1925, during the practice sessions.
According to accounts from the time, Mariani, riding his Sunbeam, was heading toward Bellagio when he collided with fellow rider Primo Moretti (Moto Guzzi), who was exiting in the opposite direction from his team’s headquarters located at the Hotel Flora (now Al Batel), right across from the ferry dock.

The competition continued until the Second World War.
Since 2003, a historical reenactment of the Circuit has been held every year, reserved for vintage motorcycles.

You may also like
Church of St. Rocco
The building, now deconsecrated, faces the square in front of the parish church. Its façade has a curved gable, bordered by a string course and divided by pilasters.
VIEW DETAILS
Monument to the Torri Tarelli Brothers
The bas-relief depicts the faces of the five Torri Tarelli brothers, born in Onno and known for their roles in the Italian Wars of Independence and the unification of Italy (1848–1861). The work was placed here by the Municipal Administration in 2011 to mark the 150th anniversary of Italian Unity.
VIEW DETAILS
Casa Corti (former Parish House)
The house stands in the center of the village, facing the public library. It was first mentioned in 1567 as the residence of the parish priest and was once equipped with a bell tower. Its original structure can be deduced from the shape and size of the fresco that decorates the southeastern façade.
VIEW DETAILS